search hot trends news

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nacho Figueras

Nacho Figueras
Fashion Week in New York City, filled with beautiful clothes and beautiful people . . . and among them, one person stands out. "I met Nacho!" one woman shouted. Meet Argentine heartthrob Ignacio Figueras, known simply as Nacho. "Nacho's a typical nickname for Ignacio," he said. "And it's a memorable name," said CBS News correspondent Serena Altschul. "I guess, yes. Everyone always called me Nacho. Only my third grade teacher called me Ignacio."
If his name isn't familiar, chances are you've seen his face. It's the face of Ralph Lauren, famous for its Polo brand. His sultry ads are seen around the globe. With his rugged good looks, it's easy to see why he was chosen as the poster-child for the Polo brand. But there's another reason: In a stroke of marketing luck, 32-year-old Nacho just happens to be the sport's biggest star. Longtime friend and former polo player David Walentas said it's a perfect match. "He's been good for the sport of polo, and polo's been for Nacho," said Walentas.
Nacho grew up outside Buenos Aires - considered the polo capital of the world - and started playing when he was nine years old, on a farm with friends. "I come from a middle class family," he said. "I had one horse that I took care of myself." And despite his modest upbringing, in a country where owning a horse is common, Nacho dreamed of one day becoming a polo star. "I had this polo shirt that my uncle gave me for my birthday. I remember it was a white- and green-striped polo shirt, with a little polo player on it. And I thought it was so cool. It was in Argentina, we didn't have that many. They were expensive. So that was, like, my treasured shirt that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment